Thursday, March 28, 2013

Spring Bird Cage And Modge Podge Eggs

At my home birds are arriving daily from their winter trip south. I hear their constant chatter as they congregate around the bird feeders just outside my windows. Spring certainly is a cheerful time of year.




This little project was fun to create. I cut thin strips of paper from patterned paper made by Little Yellow Bicycle. The thin strips were then utilized for coloring the eggs and making a comfy nest for my paper chicks to hatch in. I layered strips of paper onto plastic eggs with modge podge to give their shells color. For the nesting material I curled strips of paper by gently pulling them across the blade of an open pair of scissors.




I added a dainty covering by attaching tulle to the cage dome, which promptly attracted a flutter of paper butterflies. Each butterfly was created using two contrasting butterfly wing die cuts (one solid and one cutout), and by stitching the center of each set and folding the top pair of wings open.
I added a few extra details in the mini pennant banner draped atop the dome, a cascading sheer ribbon for the butterflies to play with, a beautiful tail for our birdie and a perfect view from his birdie perch.



I display this touch of Wimsey on a shelf above our stairway where it is in sure to be noticed and admired.
Best of all it adds a touch of spring to my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment